Saturday 1 January 2011

Making and Unmaking Text across performance disciplines





My proposal to present my writing practice at Beyond Text has been accepted. I will be presenting "Writing Centres", a practical investigation of the relationship between spatial and compositional structures in my current project Arena. The presentation of practice will explore text images in relation to performance, the resolution of movement practice in text, how a physical and writing practice meet...This research ground has evolved through my current post-graduate studies at Camberwell College of Arts and TrinityLaban (visual arts and choreologicalstudies).

I will be exploring spatial concepts beginning with the assignment of a centre within the kinesphere, the physical space constituted by our physical structure, the far reach of which is determined by motility. I will consider this concept in relation to text- where is the centre of the text, what centre of gravity? Through this analogy to the body I will ask questions about peripherality and multiple centres, exploring how this spatial strucuturing functions in my current text project Arena as I experiment with book and performance structures.

Central to the rationale for such a discussion is the usefulness of information transfer between disciplines- the understanding of one thing in terms of another and the possibility afforded my these multiple lenses.

Making and Unmaking Text is a dialogue addressing sites of language in contemporary practices. The three day eventlooks to expand the notion of the academic conference and is funded by AHRC as part of Beyond Text research.




http://textmaking.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment